TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - To clarify the purpose of this post...
People Seeking Info

Subject To clarify the purpose of this post...

Posted by DVDBURN (MD) on May 09, 2013 at 2:38 AM
  This message has been viewed 386 times.

In Reply To Revisiting an old subject or... posted by DVDBURN (MD) on May 08, 2013 at 08:45 PM

Message This is specifically related to the failure of the old style injectors. In just a short amount of time that fuel with added ethanol started being used is when an alarming amount of old style injectors started failing. Not just with our cars but with many other makes as well.

This info helps explain how injectors progressed to failure so quickly. I dissected four injectors and all of them failed for the same reason. It was a breakdown of the electrical connection of the coil wires at the two post at the top of the injectors where they were openly exposed to the fuel containing ethanol.

The electrical post were also under a constant voltage source which is the main reason for the breakdown and how this info relates. By a couple of the replies, I think some people still don't understand what this all means.

For those people, this means that ethanol greatly increases what is known as electrolysis.

[ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis ]

To simplify what this means and how it relates to old style injector failure, when you have two pieces of metal, one with a positive and one with a negative electrical charge submerged in an electrically conductive fluid, the physical properties of that metal will start to dissolve. This is how the injectors fail and why they start forming a high resistance between the electrical contacts. The coil wires are soldered to the electrical post that feed the top connector of the injector. The solder that bonds the wire to the post, the wire and the post itself all start to dissolve due to the effects of electrolysis.

You can simulate this effect buy connecting a nine volt battery to two pieces of copper wire and submerge them in close proximity to each other in a glass of salt water. You'll see bubblies start to form and the wires will erode away.

In Zs which have constant voltage applied to the injectors, both post which hold the coil wires are at the same positive potential when either the car is turned off or when the injector coil is not activated. When the car is off, both post at the injector coil are positive and the engine body is the negative. The electrical path between the two is provided through the fuel with the ethanol additive that has seeped out of the injector and is in contact with the post at the top of the injector. This can not be visually seen because it is under the top plastic part of the injector where the injector connector is located. As in my injector write-up, you would have to take apart the injector to see this.

My post has nothing to do with trying to detour anyone from converting to an E85 system. The only problems I'm aware of related to our cars using anything ethanol related is the breakdown of the old style injectors. If your reading more into this info than what I'm saying here then your just not getting it.

www.mytwinturbo.com

Nissan Data Voice - The first Nissan diagnostic software with a voice!

Nissan Data Voice on YouTube

Download my Nissan 300ZX Vin/Model Lookup.

Watch an ECZA meet caravan!

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.